Sunday, June 20, 2010

I'm not a dad, but I have the best one!

It's fathers day! This year my husband is celebrating his very first fathers day. It's an honor and a privilege to be his wife and get to watch him father our baby girl. There is a very special bond that takes place between a daughter and her daddy. It can't always be explained, but it's there and it's awesome. The bond I have with my dad is no less awesome. In our house my dad was boss. My mom certainly had to discipline us, but if dad was called in to reinforce you'd better find somewhere to sit because he was going to tan your hide. I can honestly say I don't remember getting many (if any) spankings from my dad, which is more than I can say for my brothers, but I knew it was an option when mom said "Rebecca Leighanne if you don't mind me I'm going to tell your daddy". I'm the youngest of four children. I have three older brothers which also makes me the only girl. I tell no lie when I say that comes with it's perks. However, my three brothers paved the road to a very overprotective childhood for me. Thanks guys! Looking back on it, I'm thankful, but at the time I sure didn't see anything to be thankful for. My dad has a pretty different sense of humor. A sense of humor I love now, but as a kid of was quite embarrassed by it. I'll never forget the day my dad picked me up from middle school in a turquoise blue volkswagon beetle...it was VERY OLD and VERY UGLY! I think it backfired a lot and I don't remember there being any air. It wouldn't have surprised me one bit if we would have had to get out and push it all the way home. I was devistated that he would come get me in that "thing"! Every time I wold ask my dad "where's mom?" He would reply with "West, Texas". It would usually throw me into a crying fit!! He always knew how to get a rising out of me. Growing up my dad told jokes. His best were the "Little Red Moron" jokes. For example- Why did the little red moron carry hay to bed? He wanted to feed his night mares. haha! Or why did the little red moron take a ladder to school? He wanted to go to high school. haha! The list of these jokes goes on and on and on. We also never took a trip to the mountains without hearing the story of Fallin Rock. And a Sunday morning was never started without a VERY LOUD verse of "It's time to get up, it's time to get up, it's time to get up in the morning". I hated that song, but it's part of my childhood and my dad that I will never forget! My dad is a very strong man and he loves my momma! He's a lead by example kind of dad and I always know no matter what I can count on him. I love you with all my heart dad. Thanks for being awesome!

2 comments:

  1. Why did the little red moron throw the butter out the window? He wanted to see the butter fly!

    Why did God give me such a wonderful daughter? He knew Robbie would need a wonderful wife and mother for his children, so he gave me the privilege of raising her.

    ReplyDelete